Saturday, November 26, 2011

Dawn in the Orchard by Cooper West

Description courtesy of Goodreads:

Gary Winston is a professional musician with a debilitating problem: stage fright. Between his failing career and his failing relationship, Chicago has little left to offer him, so when he inherits his great-aunt's pecan farm in North Carolina, it's the perfect excuse to escape. 

Nervous about being back in the deep South again, surrounded by small-town homophobia, Gary's certainly not ready to fall in love. Then he meets local farmer, businessman, and fiddle player Chuck Everett, whose family has been contracted to harvest the crop of pecans. Chuck’s the perfect man for Gary... except for being deep in the Southern closet. 


Life heats up quickly when they start making music together, and though both men have more than their fair share of baggage, neither can walk away from the relationship. If Gary rediscovers his muse and realizes being true to himself means moving past his comfort zone, will going forward mean leaving Chuck behind? 


Hmm, I have very mixed feelings about this book.  I should have LOVED the story.  I generally devour anything about musicians, but this was just ehhh.  The world building at the begining was very slow, which is fine until the end comes and it's all a rush and really there's no true resolution.  I would have enjoyed this book more if it hadn't ended where it did.  I would have loved to see some more details about how everything was resolved.  To me Tally stole the show, he was so much more clearly fleshed out a character than Chuck.  The love scenes were nicely romantic and you could see why Gary and Chuck acted the way they did.  I just wish there were about 30 more pages to this one.

Don't get me wrong this is a very enjoyable read, it just was not the quality I expect from Cooper West.  I will still be picking up plenty more books by Cooper West.

ARC provided by Dreamspinner Press via NetGalley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment